30 May 2015

Canvas


by Ruby

by Grace

by Nina

by Lily
Over the Easter break Kim got the girls to do a painting on canvas.  Thank god for Kim.  Once I was that mother who got the paints out more or less daily, made playdough weekly, did endless craft projects with the kids, sat them on my knee letting them guide the fabric through the sewing machine, displayed their work in an endless rotation on walls and on this blog.  And I didn't do it out of matyrdom or because I thought I should. I really liked that stuff.  I loved nothing more than hauling all the craft stuff onto the kitchen table and getting all the kids involved in some messy project.  It was my number one way to pass an afternoon.  When other kids came for plays it wasn't unheard of to sew bags or make potato prints, or stick bits of pasta onto cardboard and paint them.

Now it seems all my kid-crafting mojo has left me.  After more than a decade of parenting I just cant be bothered.  Painting seems like a lot of mess and hassle, and then what do we do with the finished products?  The art work on the walls has remained unchanged all year.  The idea of sorting through it fills me with ennui.

Maybe that is just the way it is - we are moving onto a new stage and lingering in the last one isn't so interesting (for me).  Unfair on Lil, who is forced to listen to chapter books when I'm sure the others still got picture books every night at her age, and who doesn't even get to watch half the favourite movies of the others because they've all grown out of them.  Movie nights on the whole are more difficult now - the tastes of a 12 year old and a 5 year old rarely intersect.  Do we just abandon the idea of a family movie and run it over two nights instead - little kids and big kids? I dunno.

I think I peaked too early, went too hard, too fast and left nothing in reserve.  

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous15 June, 2015

    I thought there was something wrong with me. Sweet relief, you have this knack of saying it so perfectly Julie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous15 June, 2015

    P.S Your "I am not a robot" filter is hilarious. I was just asked to select pictures of soup and previously bread.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Those paintings are amazing. Movie nights are a challenge aren't they? We've 14 down to 1 and it isn't easy. Some things fit the bill though and they are great fun. We've started watching some oldies too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Those paintings are amazing. Movie nights are a challenge aren't they? We've 14 down to 1 and it isn't easy. Some things fit the bill though and they are great fun. We've started watching some oldies too.

    ReplyDelete